Residents use phone flashlights to get around in dark during blackout at Bukit Panjang block

Submitted by Stomper Raven

This story was submitted via Web contribution form.

This story was submitted via Facebook. Click here to join our Facebook page.

The lights went out for more than an hour at Block 172 Gangsa Road in Bukit Panjang on the evening of Jan 12.

Stomper Raven said the blackout started at around 7.30pm.

"The whole corridor, void deck, lift lobby and staircase landing were in total darkness," said the Stomper.

"People were holding on to their torch or handphone flashlight. Some were looking at one another at a complete loss.

"I took the stairs which were quite dangerous as there were some objects like a bicycle and other stuff around the staircase landing. If you were not careful, you might accidentally trip over them.

"I overheard a guy in a singlet, shorts and slippers on the handphone saying: 'My house here like a ghost town. Cannot even see a thing. You cannot imagine!'"

The Stomper took the lift and discovered another problem.

"The lift would come to a stop halfway for a few seconds before continuing to go up. I was afraid that someone might be trapped inside the lift in the middle of the night," said the Stomper, who called the lift company.

In response to a Stomp query, the Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council said it was first alerted by a resident about the blackout at 7.30pm and immediately deployed its electrical specialists on site.

"Upon investigation, it revealed that the electricity supply to the corridor lightings of Block 172 Gangsa Road was disrupted due to a faulty electrical contactor in the main circuit control. Hence, urgent repair and rectification works were necessary to restore supply with immediacy."

The power supply was restored at about 9pm.

The town council added: "Residents’ safety is our utmost priority. As a precautionary measure, the town council has also stepped up our extensive efforts by inspecting all similar model of electrical contactors in the block to safeguard residents’ well-being.

"We apologise for the inconvenience caused and would also like to thank our residents for their patience."