Man arrested after locking himself in Clementi unit for 4 hours: Police debunk falsehoods about firearms, drugs

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

The police have clarified an incident in which a man was apprehended after locking himself in a flat at Clementi, and debunked falsehoods circulating in relation to the matter.

The police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) had responded to the incident at Block 309 Clementi Avenue 4 on Wednesday morning (March 17), at 8.07am.

The incident involved a 38-year-old Caucasian man who had locked himself inside a residential unit.

"The man was uncooperative and was assessed to pose a danger to himself," said the police in a statement on Saturday (March 20).

Police officers gained entry into the apartment unit at about 12.20pm.

The man was eventually apprehended under the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) Act and is being investigated for suspected consumption of controlled drugs.

"The police understand that there are various falsehoods circulating online and via messaging applications in relation to this incident, alleging that an array of firearms and 20 kilogrammes of drugs were seized," they added in the statement.

"There are also claims that several Malay and Indian persons were arrested during the incident, and one of them had attempted to evade arrest by jumping down the block. These statements are categorically false.

"The police would like to clarify as follows:

"No firearms or narcotics were seized during the incident;

"Only one person was arrested: The 38-year-old Caucasian man;

"The Caucasian man is not a drug trafficker; and

"No person had attempted to evade arrest by jumping down the block.

"The police are investigating the circulation of such falsehoods under an offence of Communicating a False Message under Section 14D of the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act (the "Act").

"Under Section 14D(1) of the Act, any person who transmits or causes to be transmitted a message knowing it to be false or fabricated may be liable, upon conviction, to a fine not exceeding $10,000, a jail term of up to three years, or to both."

The police also said that they will not hesitate to take action against anyone who transmits or communicates falsehoods.

"Members of the public are advised to refer to official sources for information and to avoid spreading unverified information or false rumours, as these may cause fear and unnecessary public alarm," they added.