FairPrice investigates after Stomper's mum 'traumatised' by dead beetle in box of grapes

Submitted by Stomper Chris

This story was submitted via Web contribution form.

Supermarket chain FairPrice has investigated an incident in which a dead insect was apparently found in a box of grapes purchased from its Waterway Point outlet.

The discovery was made by Stomper Chris and his mother, after they visited the FairPrice Finest store on July 9 to purchase groceries.

Chris recounted: "Our experience turned out to be distressing and unsatisfactory. To our utter horror, upon opening a packet of grapes that we had purchased, we discovered a dead insect amidst the fruit.

"The sight was not only repulsive but also highly unhygienic, as my mother had inadvertently consumed some of the contaminated grapes before realising the presence of the insect.

"This incident has had a severe impact on my mother's well-being and has left her traumatised.

"In response to this issue, we immediately approached the customer service desk to report the incident and seek resolution.

"While we appreciate that staff refunded us the money for the grapes, we were astounded by the compensation provided. We were given a lousy flask, which felt entirely inadequate given the seriousness of the situation and the distress it caused.

"It is disheartening to note that despite the evident contamination issue, the grapes in question are still being sold, potentially endangering other unsuspecting customers.

"As loyal patrons of FairPrice, we have always placed our trust in the quality and safety of the products sold at the stores.

"However, this incident has shattered that trust and left us questioning the commitment to maintaining proper standards and ensuring customer satisfaction.

"We strongly believe that the contamination of food items is a severe violation of health and safety regulations, and immediate action must be taken to rectify the situation.

"We sincerely hope that they will give this matter the attention it deserves and take swift action to rectify the situation. As a responsible retailer, it is imperative for FairPrice to ensure the well-being and satisfaction of its customers."

Chris told Stomp that the incident left him deeply disappointed and concerned. A photo that he shared shows the dead critter, which he said was a cockroach, in a box of seedless green grapes.

However, an entomologist identified the insect as a long-horned beetle, said FairPrice.

A FairPrice spokesman told Stomp in response to queries: "FairPrice Group takes food quality and safety issues very seriously and is committed to upholding a high level of food safety standards.

"A full investigation into this matter has been initiated with the supplier, and we are currently in contact with the customer.

"This incident appears to be an isolated incident as pest control checks in our warehouse and supplier's facility did not show any pest issues.

"Investigations by our engaged entomologist shows that the insect appears to be a long-horned beetle.

"Nevertheless, we understand that finding an insect in a purchase is unpleasant and are committed to resolving this issue with the customer."

The spokesman said FairPrice will continue to work closely with its supplier to identify the root cause of the incident, adding: "Customers can return or exchange products that are of unsatisfactory quality at the same store of purchase, with the receipt."