Fire hazard: Tampines resident still charging PMD in corridor despite warnings and summons

Submitted by Stomper Anonymous

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

Even the town council cannot seem to stop her.

A Tampines resident is still charging her personal mobile device (PMD) in the corridor outside her flat even after being advised that is a potential fire hazard.

A Stomper, who is her neighbour at Block 885A Tampines Street 83, shared photos of the PMD connected to an extension cord through a window.

"This lady living on the same floor me has been parking and charging her PMD with undue care," said the Stomper, who added that he has reported it to the town council more than a dozen times.

But the problem still persists. It's so dangerous the way she charged her PMD without the safety considerations of other neighbours.

"I need help to make Tampines Town Council aware that whatever actions they took it's not working for the past year."

In response to a Stomp query, a spokesperson for Tampines Town Council said: "We have been engaging the resident regularly to advise her not to charge her PMD in the corridor as it is a potential fire hazard.

"Spot checks after warnings and enforcement summons indicated that she had stopped. Unfortunately, she continued doing so after some time.

"We appreciate the efforts of the community in alerting us to this. We will monitor and continue taking necessary actions against such acts."

Fires involving PMDs, e-bikes and personal mobility aids increased by 31 per cent to 55 cases in 2023, up from 42 fires in 2022, according to the annual statistics report released by the Singapore Civil Defence Force on Feb 21, 2024.

An early morning fire at Block 202 Bedok North Street 1 on Feb 13 was likely caused by an e-bike charging in the 11th-storey corridor.