E-bike battery charging causes Crawford Lane fire, two explosions caught on video

Preliminary investigation indicates that the fire at Block 463 Crawford Lane originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle (PAB) charging in the living room of the flat, said Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

A video of the night blaze posted on TikTok shows the glow of flames coming from a home on a high floor of the block. Two explosions can be heard, followed by shouting in a distance.


In a Facebook post, SCDF said it was alerted to the fire on Dec 11 at 11.50pm .

"Upon SCDF's arrival, black smoke was emitting from a unit on the 15th floor," said SCDF.

About 35 residents from the affected block had evacuated before SCDF's arrival.

[Fire @ Block 463, Crawford Lane] Yesterday night at about 11:50pm, SCDF was alerted to a fire at the abovementioned...

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Monday, 11 December 2023

Firefighters from Kallang Fire Station conducted forcible entry into the flat and found no one there at the time of the fire, which was extinguished with a water jet.

There were no reported injuries.

The Facebook post added: "SCDF would like to remind the public not to leave the PMD/PAB batteries charging for an extended period of time or leave them charging overnight. Do not purchase or use non-original batteries."

More About: