E-bike charging in HDB corridor likely caused early morning fire in Bedok North, 2 taken to hospital

A fire in Bedok North during the early morning of Feb 13 likely originated from the battery pack of a powered-assisted bicycle (PAB) that was charging, said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

In a Facebook post the same day, SCDF said it was alerted to the fire at Block 202 Bedok North Street 1 at 3.45am.

The fire in the common corridor outside a 11th-storey flat involved an e-bike and was extinguished by firefighters from Changi Fire Station using a fire extinguisher.

[Fire @ Block 202, Bedok North Street 1] At about 3:45am today (13 Feb), SCDF was alerted to a fire at the...

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Monday, 12 February 2024

The flat occupants had evacuated before SCDF’s arrival.

Three of them were assessed for smoke inhalation and two were taken to the Singapore General Hospital. The third person declined to be sent to the hospital.

Photos shared by SCDF showed a charred PAB in the burnt-out corridor.

To prevent such fires, you are reminded not to charge the device batteries for an extended period of time or leave them charging overnight.

In addition, do not purchase or use non-original batteries. See the accompanying infographic for more fire safety tips.