Fire caused by e-bike breaks out in Mountbatten HDB flat: 80 residents evacuated, 1 taken to hospital

Submitted by Stomper JB, Fern

This story was submitted via Stomp App contribution.

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

About 80 residents were evacuated after a fire broke out in a HDB flat at Block 10 Jalan Batu in Mountbatten on Thursday evening (Apr 20).

One person was taken to hospital.

Stompers JB and Fern alerted Stomp to the fire and shared photos of black smoke rising into the air from the affected unit.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a Facebook post that they were alerted to a fire in a ninth-floor unit of the block at about 7.10pm.

Upon arrival, the fire was raging inside the unit," SCDF said.

"The fire involved contents of the living room and was extinguished by firefighters with a water jet.

"Two persons evacuated from the unit prior to SCDF's arrival.

"One person from a neighbouring unit was assessed for smoke inhalation and conveyed to the Singapore General Hospital.

"Approximately 80 residents were evacuated by the Police and SCDF as a precautionary measure."

Preliminary investigations revealed that the fire had likely started from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle (PAB), or e-bike, that was placed in the unit's living room.

To prevent fires caused by personal mobility devices or power-assisted bicycles, SCDF reminded members of the public not to charge batteries for an extended period of time or overnight, and not to buy or use non-original batteries.

[Fire @ Block 10 Jalan Batu] At about 7:10 p.m., SCDF was alerted to a fire in a ninth floor unit at the abovementioned...

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Thursday, April 20, 2023