Fire at rubbish chute of Block 610 AMK Ave 4 put out thanks to quick-thinking cleaner

Submitted by Stomper Teo

Stomper Teo wishes to commend a cleaner for putting out a fire that broke out in a rubbish chute at Block 610 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4 yesterday (Aug 20) at around 11.40am.

In a telephone interview, the Stomper said that his wife was cooking when she smelt smoke coming from the rubbish chute in their HDB flat on the second floor.

The Stomper then went down to check and saw smoke seeping through the metal door of the rubbish collection point at the base of the block.

He then alerted the cleaner to what happened.

He said that the cleaner did not open the rubbish chute straight away as the intensity of the fire was unknown.

According to Teo, the cleaner instead went up the HDB block to turn on a tap that was used to flush and clean the rubbish chute.

Around three minutes later, the fire was put out.

Said the Stomper:

"Got to thank him for attending to this as it is not his job to fight fire."