PAB battery charging in bedroom likely caused 1.30am fire in Sembawang, 2 taken to hospital

Two people were taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a Sembawang flat early Sunday morning (July 9).

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) posted on Facebook that it was alerted to the fire at Block 508A Wellington Circle at 1.40am.

"Upon SCDF's arrival, black smoke was emitting from a unit on the second floor," said SCDF.

"Firefighters from Yishun Fire Station wearing breathing apparatus equipment entered the smoke-logged unit. The fire, which was confined to a bedroom, was extinguished with a water jet.

"Four persons from the affected unit had evacuated prior to SCDF's arrival. Two were conveyed by SCDF to Singapore General Hospital for smoke inhalation and burn injuries.

"About 80 residents from the affected block were evacuated as a precautionary measure."

SCDF added that preliminary investigation indicates that the fire had likely originated from the battery of a power-assisted bicycle that was charging in the bedroom.

[Fire @ Block 508A, Wellington Circle] Earlier this morning at about 1:40 a.m., SCDF was alerted to a fire at the...

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Saturday, July 8, 2023