2 taken to hospital after fire breaks out in Woodlands HDB flat, likely started by PMA battery pack

Submitted by Stomper Ai

This story was submitted via Stomp App contribution.

Two people were taken to hospital after a fire broke out in the living room of a Housing Board (HDB) flat in Woodlands on Tuesday evening (Oct 25).

Stomper Ai alerted Stomp to the incident and shared a video of the raging fire on the 22nd floor of Block 185 Woodlands Street 13 that could be seen from ground level.

"I was at the foot of the block when the fire broke out," she said.

"Initially, I heard some noises like something falling from a high floor.

"When I looked up, to my horror, there was a huge fire coming from the unit and part of the window from that unit fell to the ground floor.

"Afterwards, the void deck was full of people from the upper floor units.

"Thank you to the neighbours who rendered helping hands to the residents from the upper floors."

In response to a Stomp query, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the fire at 8.20pm.

"Upon SCDF's arrival, thick black smoke was emitting from a unit on the 22nd floor," an SCDF spokesman said.

"The fire was confined to the living room and was extinguished by firefighters from Woodlands Fire Station using a water jet.  

"An occupant from the affected unit had evacuated prior to SCDF’s arrival. 

"About 80 residents from the 20th to 22nd floors of the block were evacuated by SPF and SCDF as a precautionary measure. 

"Two persons from the neighbouring units were conveyed by SCDF ambulances to Singapore General Hospital for smoke inhalation. 

"Preliminary investigation indicates that the fire had likely originated from a battery pack of a personal mobility aid that was charging in the living room.

"SCDF would like to remind the public not to charge batteries for an extended period of time or overnight. Also, do not purchase or use non-original batteries."