Two taken to KKH after fire breaks out at Toa Payoh HDB flat: PMA charging likely cause

Submitted by Stomper Wei Sien

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

Two people were taken to KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) after a fire broke out in a unit at Block 63 Lorong 5 Toa Payoh on Thursday evening (Nov 2).

Stomper Wei Sien alerted Stomp to the incident and shared a video he took of firefighters and police officers at the scene.

In the video, the unit is cordoned off and the walls and ceiling outside the unit are blackened with soot.

In response to a Stomp query, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the fire at 9pm.

The fire was in the living room area and was extinguished by firefighters from Bishan Fire Station using a compressed air foam trolley.

"Four occupants had evacuated the affected unit before SCDF's arrival," an SCDF spokesman said.

"Two persons from the affected unit were conveyed to KK Women's and Children's Hospital."

Preliminary investigations revealed that the fire had likely originated from the battery pack of a personal mobility aid (PMA) that was charging in the living room.

More About: