Vietnamese teen dies after allegedly getting electrocuted by phone cable

Do you have the habit of leaving your smartphone to charge beside you while you enter dreamland? You might want to think twice.

A 14-year-old student in Hanoi, Vietnam reportedly died in her sleep after being electrocuted by a faulty phone charging cable.

Le Thi Xoan was found unconscious by her parents and taken to hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

According to reports by Metro and The Straits Times, investigators at the scene speculated that the deceased had plugged in her iPhone 6 and lay alongside it on her bed -- something that she did every night.

They also discovered a burnt white cable with visible tears in the rubber casing. At least one of these tears left several live wires exposed.

A see-through tape wrapped around the tear suggests that the victim had opted to continue using the cable despite being aware of the defect.

It is believed that Le had rolled onto the cable while she slept, which led to the electrocution.

Police also observed that the cable appeared to be shorter than the Apple's original 0.5-meter (20-inch) charging device.

However, they have yet to determine whether the cable was an original Apple wire or a third-party device.