Six-hour long disruption on Bukit Panjang LRT line caused by broken rail support brackets

Submitted by Stomper David

This story was submitted via Facebook. Click here to join our Facebook page.

Two broken rail support brackets caused a disruption in train services on the Bukit Panjang LRT line this morning (Sept 9), that lasted more than six hours. 

Two trains stalled successively from 9.45am, bringing train services along the entire line to a halt.

During the incident, SMRT staff guided about 10 passengers to the nearest station for safety. 

Transport operator SMRT announced in a tweet at 11.12am that there is no train service due to a train fault.

It said in a subsequent tweet at 11.18am that free bridging buses services are available.

An update at 11.26am confirmed that no train services are available on Service A and B, due to a train fault. 

In a Facebook post at 11.53am, SMRT said that the first train stalled between Phoenix and Bukit Panjang LRT stations at around 9.45am, and was moved back to the depot.

A second train stalled after service had recovered. 

It said that engineers are working to move the second train back to the depot, and it was checking the track to identify the cause of the incident. 

In its post, SMRT wrote:

“The incident train was recovered and pulled back to the depot.

“After service recovered, a second train stalled at the same stretch of track. 

“As this second train could not continue service, around 10 passengers were guided by staff safely to the nearest station (Bukit Panjang LRT station).”

In another Facebook post at 4.27pm, SMRT said that engineers carried out checks on the stalled trains and tracks, and found out that broken rail support brackets had affected the signal and ground rail between Phoenix and Bukit Panjang stations. 

It wrote:

"Engineers were deployed immediately to carry out rectification works which included the replacement of the rail support brackets, and signal and ground rail,"

"The engineers needed to access the open viaduct to complete the repair works."

SMRT also concurrently carried out network-wide checks on all trains and tracks to ensure that the systems could operate safely before full service resumed at 4.18pm. 

Stomper David sent a photo of the breakdown to Stomp. 

Commuters had reported that there was no service on the line from as early as 10am, reports The Straits Times

Twitter user Kimmy said in a tweet at 10.01am:

“Bukit Panjang LRT is Not working now.

“Do not board. 

“I wasted 77 cents going in and coming out of same station just now.”

Stomp understands that a fire engine and an ambulance were dispatched to the scene, but there were no reported injuries.