Elderly man stands on 11th-floor parapet at Eunos block, pulled back onto corridor by NUS student

An elderly man who stood on the 11th-floor parapet of Block 12 Eunos Crescent was pulled back to safety by a youth.  

The incident happened at about 7pm on Saturday evening (June 23).

A reader, Mr Jun Liang, 59, told Shin Min Daily News that he saw a man in a red shirt standing precariously on the parapet at the time of the incident. 

He said:

“He stood there for less than three minutes before he was discovered by residents on the 11th floor. 

“Several people ran over, and one of them grabbed the uncle.

“He managed to pull the uncle back onto the corridor. The situation was very tense.”

According to Shin Min Daily News, the man lives in the block. He took the lift to the 11th floor prior to the incident.

He subsequently climbed over the railings on the corridor and onto the parapet, which is about 20cm in width. 

Fortunately, this was discovered by alert residents, including a youth in a navy shirt, who then grabbed the man’s hands and pulled him back onto the corridor. 

The youth is 25 years old and a student at the National University of Singapore (NUS), reports Shin Min Daily News. 

In response to media queries. the police said that it was alerted to a case of attempted suicide at 7.40pm on June 23. 

The suspect, an 84-year-old man was conscious when conveyed to Changi General Hospital (CGH) for treatment. He was subsequently arrested and police investigations are ongoing. 

A resident told reporters that on the day of the incident, her brother was visiting her when he came across the man standing on the parapet.

There were not many passers-by and everyone was afraid of making sudden movements which could lead to the man falling. 

The resident’s brother then called the police. 

Another resident living on the 10th floor said that he heard someone shouting in Malay to the man, asking him not to “do anything stupid”. 

The entire process took about 20 minutes. 

When reporters visited the youth’s home on Sunday (June 24), his family members said that they do not wish to comment on the matter, but added that the youth acted on reflex as it was an emergency. 

More About: