STOMP it anytime, anywhere.
Download the new STOMP app today.
The Singapore Food Agency (SFA) is investigating an incident in which a diner found a centipede in her vegetable dish from a Chinatown eatery.
Stomper Kelly said she visited Tiong Shian Porridge Centre's New Bridge Road outlet for dinner on Nov 25.
She recounted: "I ordered a pot of noodles and stir-fried vegetables. While I was eating the vegetables, I found a big finger-sized centipede inside the food.
"I alerted the waitress, showed her the centipede and asked her to bring the plate to the head chef to come and settle the issue, but they didn't respond. She just replaced the dish with a new one for me, that's all, so unresponsive.
"Only replacing the dish to settle this case, can you accept it? If people are careless and eat the poisonous centipede, I can't imagine how serious it would be."
The Stomper said she was given a replacement for the vegetables.
Kelly reported the matter to SFA on the same night.
She told Stomp: "It feels like the incident doesn't matter to the eatery, so I should take action for them. I also hope to alert other people about this.
"It was a very, very terrible experience and until now, I still feel like I wanna vomit."
In response to a Stomp query, SFA said it is investigating the matter.
"Food safety is a joint responsibility," the agency added.
"While SFA puts in place and enforces the regulatory measures, food operators must play their part by adhering to good food hygiene and preparation practices. SFA will not hesitate to take enforcement action against errant food operators."
Those who come across any potentially errant food operator should report to SFA via its online feedback form. SFA may engage the feedback provider for more details as part of the enquiry and gathering of evidence.
View more photos in the gallery.