Staff says rice was 'from last night' after diner finds cockroach in her meal, SFA looking into case

Submitted by Stomper JN

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

A diner was appalled to find a dead cockroach in her chicken rice from a coffee shop stall in Ang Mo Kio.

Stomper JN said she experienced discomfort in her stomach after the meal from a roasted meat stall at Block 727 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6 on October 25, at 12.20pm.

She told Stomp: "Unfortunately, I only discovered the cockroach when I was about to finish eating and was ultimately disgusted."

JN informed the stall about the incident and subsequently reported it to the Singapore Food Agency (SFA).

She added: "The stall's staff mentioned that the rice was from last night and he wasn't in charge of that shift, so he had no idea what happened.

"I am sharing this to warn others to be careful of what they put in their mouth when eating, as such things could happen."

In response to a Stomp query, SFA said it is looking into the matter.

The agency added: "Food safety is a joint responsibility. While SFA puts in place and enforces the regulatory measures, food operators must play their part by adhering to good food hygiene and preparation practices. Food operators should also ensure that their premises are clean and well-maintained."

Members of the public who come across any potentially errant food operator should report it via SFA's online feedback form.

SFA said it takes a serious view towards food safety and will investigate all feedback alleging poor food safety practices, adding: "As part of the enquiry and gathering of evidence, SFA may engage the feedback provider for more details and will not hesitate to take enforcement action if sufficient evidence has been obtained."