STOMP it anytime, anywhere.
Download the new STOMP app today.
A man's first visit to Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant turned out to be an unforgettable one -- but not for reasons you might think.
Stomper YN said he visited the Jalan Besar restaurant on Aug 23, at around 11.45pm.
He recounted: "I went to Swee Choon for supper for the very first time and encountered something so disgusting that I wanna puke, because I found a bug while eating my crispy prawn rolls and it dropped out onto the table.
"Having said that, it's a live bug some more. Ewww!
"I immediately spat out my food, for god's sake."
A video taken by YN shows an insect larvae wriggling on the table.
The Stomper said there was no replacement of the dish as he had already lost his appetite, adding: "See the bug, straightaway go already, don't want to continue."
He told Stomp: "The restaurant did not refund me. They asked us to pay still, grrr, it should have been waived off.
"The Singapore Food Agency said they did not find anything. But how did the bug even appear? That's the thing."
Well, mystery solved: The live larvae had fallen from the false ceiling of what is apparently an old building. It was not in YN's food like he had thought.
In response to a Stomp query, a spokesman for Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant said on August 30: "Following an extensive inquiry conducted in collaboration with our dedicated Quality Assurance team and a thorough review of the CCTV footage, we have been able to shed light on the recent incident involving the discovery of a worm by our restaurant's patrons.
"Our investigation has clarified that the object in question was, indeed, an insect larvae that unintentionally descended through the false ceiling from the rooftop of our establishment.
"Unfortunately, due to the historical nature of our shophouse building, instances of insects within these spaces are, while infrequent, not entirely unprecedented.
"We want to reassure our esteemed customers that we approach this matter with the utmost seriousness.
"Swiftly following the occurrence, we diligently cleaned and inspected the false ceiling area, leaving no aspect unexamined. Furthermore, we have proactively taken steps to prevent similar occurrences by implementing a rigorous pest control regimen.
"We are pleased to inform you that our unwavering commitment to food safety and hygiene has been reaffirmed through a comprehensive evaluation carried out by SFA. Their assessment found no violations in our stringent food safety protocols.
"Our foremost concern has always been and continues to be the satisfaction and well-being of our patrons. Your decision to dine at our restaurant is a testament to the trust you bestow upon us.
"In light of this regrettable incident, we extend our heartfelt gratitude for the understanding and support exhibited by our valued customers. Your loyalty propels us to consistently refine our practices and uphold the excellence that you associate with us.
"We persist in our unwavering dedication to delivering extraordinary dining experiences while giving paramount importance to the quality and safety of all aspects of our establishment. We sincerely thank you for your continued support and confidence in us."
SFA told Stomp on Monday (Sept 4) that it had inspected the food establishment and did not detect any food safety lapses.
"Nonetheless, the food operator was reminded to ensure their premises is clean and well-maintained and that their food handlers adhere to good personal hygiene and food handling practices," SFA added.
"Food safety is a joint responsibility. While SFA puts in place and enforces the regulatory measures, food operators must play their part by adhering to good food hygiene and preparation practices.
"Members of the public who come across any potentially errant food operator should report to SFA via the online feedback form. As part of the enquiry and gathering of evidence, SFA may engage the feedback provider for more details and will not hesitate to take enforcement action if sufficient evidence has been obtained."