STOMP it anytime, anywhere.
Download the new STOMP app today.
A 61-year-old man was arrested on Thursday (March 14) for his suspected involvement in a case of outrage of modesty.
The police received a report on March 11 from a 16-year-old girl who said that she had been molested by an unknown man at Clarke Quay MRT Station.
Through follow-up investigations and with the aid of images from CCTV cameras, officers from Public Transport Security Command and Central Police Division established the man's identity and arrested him.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the man is believed to be involved in similar cases reported islandwide.
The man will be charged in court on March 16.
If convicted for outrage of modesty, he shall be punished with a jail term of up to two years, and/or a fine, and/or caning.
"The police would also like to highlight that the commission of such an offence on board public transport is an aggravating factor that may result in a higher sentence," they said in a statement.
Members of the public are advised to adopt the following crime prevention measures:
Be alert and attentive to your surroundings and stay alert to any suspicious person(s);
Carry along with you a shrill alarm; and
If you are molested, seek help immediately from those around you. Take note of the prominent features and attire of the suspect as well as the direction in which he or she went.
Call ‘999’ as soon as possible to increase the chances of apprehending the suspect early. If it is safe to do so, the victim or other witnesses of the crime may assist to detain the suspect while waiting for the Police to arrive.