6 men charged for dangerous discharge of fireworks at Little India, Yishun, Bukit Batok, Joo Seng Road

Six men have been charged over four separate incidents of setting off illegal fireworks in Little India, Yishun, Bukit Batok West and Joo Seng Road near Upper Aljunied Road on Tuesday (Nov 6).

On Wednesday (Nov 7), two men were charged over their alleged involvement in an illegal fireworks display in Little India.

Stompers Ah Boy and Mr Tan alerted Stomp to a video of the incident that was posted on Facebook where police officers were seen heading towards the source of the fireworks at Gloucester Road.

6nov2018
illegal fireworks being set off at race course road

singapore police officers can be seen rushing towards the scene

by the way.
happy diwali from sg road vigilante

Posted by SG Road Vigilante - SGRV on Monday, 5 November 2018

Thiagu Selvarajoo, 29, is accused of setting off the dangerous fireworks while Siva Kumar Subramaniam, 48, allegedly abetted him, reports The Straits Times.

A Hariprasanth, 18; Elvis Xavier Fernandez, 25; Jeevan Arjoon, 28 and Alagappan Singaram, 54, are accused of discharging dangerous fireworks.

All six men are Singaporeans and court documents did not state if there are links between the four cases.

Court documents also did not reveal how they obtained the fireworks.

Hariprasanth and Alagappan are accused of discharging a box of "25 Shot Cake" at an open space adjacent to Block 194B Bukit Batok West Avenue 6 at around 7.40pm on Tuesday.

Stomper Jackson, who lives at the adjacent block, alerted Stomp to the illegal fireworks display.

He saw the fireworks from his home and when he went down to take a look, he found the remains of the box the fireworks had been discharged from.

Hariprasanth and Alagappan were arrested later that day.

Jeevan allegedly set off fireworks at an open field in front of Block 504B Yishun Street 51 at around 3.30pm on Tuesday.

The police said in a statement that they were alerted to loud sounds, believed to have originated from the discharge of fireworks.

"Cylinders containing explosive materials that are believed to have set off the fireworks were also found at the said location," the police said.

Jeevan was arrested the next day.

At 9.55pm, the police were alerted to another case of discharge of fireworks at the void deck of Block 18 Joo Seng Road.

Fernandez is said to have discharged a bundle of six "whistling fire sparkles". Officers arrested him on Thursday.

The four men charged on Friday were each offered bail of $5,000. Jeevan will be back in court on Nov 23 while Fernandez will return five days later.

The cases involving Hariprasanth and Alagappan have been adjourned to Nov 30.

Thiagu and Siva Kumar have been remanded at Central Police Division and will be back in court on Nov 14.

"Members of the public are reminded that it is an offence to possess, sell, transport, send, deliver, distribute or import any dangerous fireworks," the police said in their statement.

"The police have zero tolerance against acts that endanger the lives or safety of others as well as cause undue alarm to the public, and will not hesitate to take action against those who blatantly disregard the law."

The Government started regulating the use of fireworks in 1968 when the practice of lighting celebratory fireworks became a serious public safety issue.

Certain types of fireworks were banned but fires were still caused.

A total ban was rolled out on Aug 1, 1972.