Man suffers deep gash after being accidentally hit by Turkish ice cream seller's stick at Geylang bazaar

We have all probably seen or even been a victim of the Turkish ice cream prank, which involves the seller using a long-handled metal stick to repeatedly wave the dessert before us and then snatch it out of our reach.

What seems like amusing and harmless fun can lead to dire consequences, however, as Facebook user Derick Chow proved.

In a post dated June 6, the 26-year-old shared how he had visited the Geylang Serai Bazaar on June 2 and suffered a 4cm-long gash on his forehead.

He said he was "hit in action" at the Turkish ice cream stall and appealed for witnesses who had photos or video footage of the incident to come forward.

The stall vendor had been waving the stick in front of Chow, who was about to collect his ice cream cone, when he was hit and injured by the stick.

According to The Straits Times, Chow, a business development manager, said he received 20 stitches on his forehead at Raffles Hospital and that his medical bills amounted to over $4,000.

He hopes to get the money back from the ice cream stall's insurance and is still in talks with the stall owner.