49-year-old man charged for allegedly firing flare into Ang Mo Kio hawker centre

Submitted by Stomper HD

This story was submitted via WhatsApp. Click here to join our WhatsApp group.

A 49-year-old man has been charged in court today (Sep 29) for allegedly setting off a flare into Kebun Baru Food Centre at Block 226C, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, on Sep 21 at around 4.40pm.

In an earlier article, it was reported that Stomper HD was at the scene and alerted Stomp to what happened.

In a telephone interview, she said that there were several police officers at the hawker centre and an area had been cordoned off.

The accused, who has since been identified as Aw Chong Loong, allegedly fired the flare around 50 metres away from the hawker centre, reported Lianhe Wanbao.

Vendors who were preparing their food items for dinner reported hearing a loud sound. 

One shopkeeper said he saw a ball of light coming towards his stall. It gave him a fright and he was worried that it will explode.

He hit the object away with a metal hook. It landed under a table and started to burn.

The fire was subsequently put out with a fire extinguisher.

In response to a Stomp query, a police spokesman said that no one was injured in the 'act of mischief'.

According to The Straits Times, Aw was unrepresented in court today and told the judge that he intended to plead guilty.

He was offered bail of $5,000 and will be back in court on Oct 6 after a police prosecutor asked the court for a week's adjournment pending findings from the Health Sciences Authority.

If convicted of negligent conduct with respect to an explosive substance, Aw can be jailed for up to a year and fined up to $5,000.