Man attacked and injured TP officers with stun device while evading arrest, arrested for various offences

A 38-year-old man allegedly attacked and injured two Traffic Police officers with a stun device while trying to evade arrest on Sunday (Oct 29).

The police said in a statement that the two officers, aged 32 and 29, were conducting a vehicular patrol along Victoria Street at about 2.50am when they spotted a speeding vehicle.

The officers signalled for the male driver to pull over but he stopped along the second lane of the road instead.

When officers approached the driver to ask for his NRIC and driving licence, he only produced his NRIC for identification.

To avoid further obstruction to other road users, the officers directed the driver to move his car to the side of the road for further checks.

The driver complied and stopped his car on lane three of the three-lane road, near the junction of North Bridge Road and Jalan Sultan.

He then dashed out of his car suddenly and fled on foot with his belongings that exposed a black object resembling the handle of a weapon.

The officers gave chase and managed to stop the man at a back alley near Jalan Klapa.

The man dropped his belongings and a samurai sword with a black handle dropped out during the ensuing struggle with the officers.

The man then allegedly brandished a stun device in his possession and used it to tase the officers repeatedly.

Despite their injuries caused by the stun device, the officers were able to subdue and arrest the man with the help of a 22-year-old passer-by who happened to be an off-duty full-time national serviceman from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

Staff Sergeant Khairulanwar Abd Kahar, the 32-year-old officer, suffered back injuries and was taken to hospital where he was subsequently discharged with medical leave while Sergeant Muhammad Afiq Yahya, 29, suffered injuries to his left hand and leg.

Both officers did not sustain permanent injuries.

The stun device, samurai sword, two knuckledusters, a chopper, a dagger, various drug paraphernalia and controlled drugs comprising a total of about 236g of Ice, 11g of heroin, 56 Erimin-5 tablets and two Ecstacy tablets were seized from the man.

The Straits Times identified the man as Muhammad Firdaus Amir Musa. He was hauled to court on Monday (Oct 30) and handed a total of 13 charges.

Of these, six were for voluntarily causing hurt to deter a public servant from his duty, five for weapons possession, one for possessing a stun device, and one for drug possession for the purpose of trafficking.

According to preliminary investigations, the man said he bought the stun device online several months ago but did not say why he bought it, said the police.

Private Mohammed Akbar Madarsa Bin Mohamed Sultan from SCDF was presented with the Public Spiritedness Award at a press conference for his courage and public spiritedness in assisting to detain the man with the police officers.

Private Mohammed Akbar Madarsa Mohamed Sultan (right), a full-time Singapore Civil Defence Force national serviceman, receiving the Public Spiritedness Award from Assistant Commissioner of Police Jeremy Ang on Oct 30, 2023, for helping to detain the suspect. PHOTO: SPF

Commander of Central Police Division, Assistant Commissioner of Police Jeremy Ang, said: "The arrested man showed a blatant disregard for the law by attacking and injuring the police officers who were performing their duties. 

"I would like to commend the bravery of the police officers and the off-duty Singapore Civil Defence Force officer who acted with courage when confronting a man armed with a weapon, and worked bravely together to subdue and arrest him."