Fight between staff of two Toa Payoh shops: Employee was beaten with metal rack, 38-year-old man arrested

More details of a brawl that broke out at Block 183 Toa Payoh Central on Feb 18, at around 2.30pm, have emerged.

In an earlier report, Stomper Neighbour said he saw a group of men quarrelling in front a row of shophouses before coming to blows. He also sent in a video that he filmed.

He told Stomp, "I heard that one handphone shop’s boss had hired multiple gangsters to pick up another handphone shop’s salesman. I’m not sure if that’s true."

According to Shin Min Daily News, the dispute was between two handphone shops.

A 27-year-old man who is an employee at one of the shops, Mr Wang, told reporters that he had been passing by the other store on Feb 14 when its lady boss shouted at him, "You swagger what swagger? [sic]"

He said, "I was passing by while eating an ice-cream and suddenly got scolded, which I felt was ridiculous so I argued with her."

He added that although the two shops previously had some business conflicts, he did not think that the quarrel that day was a big deal.

However, on Feb 18, three men showed up at his shop for a 'showdown', said Mr Wang.

"When I went outside, there were another five men. The group of eight surrounded me and a colleague. They wanted me to explain why I had scolded their lady boss. No matter how I tried to explain, they refused to listen."

Describing the attack, Mr Wang said that one man grabbed at his shirt and when he tried to break free, another guy punched him in the face at least three times.

"In the chaos, someone used a metal rack to repeatedly hit my back.

"The group of men only dispersed when a neighbouring store called the police."

Mr Wang, who suffered bruises on his shoulders, forehead, neck and more, visited a doctor after the incident and received three stitches on his back.

He spent over $400 on medical fees and took seven days of medical leave.

His colleague's right eye was swollen from the assault.

A 38-year-old man was arrested in connection to the case and police investigations are ongoing.