Woman finds screw in burrito from Super Loco: No lapses of hygiene standards found, says restaurant

Submitted by Stomper Anonymous

This story was submitted via Stomp App contribution.

The Loco Group of Mexican restaurants in Singapore regrets the distress one of its customers experienced after she found a screw in a burrito she had ordered from its Super Loco outlet at Robertson Quay.

A Stomper alerted Stomp to the incident and shared photos of the screw.

The burrito had been delivered to the customer via GrabFood delivery on Oct 22.

Stomp understands the customer was given a refund and the restaurant manager reached out to her on the same night she ordered her meal.

In response to a Stomp query, a spokesman said the customer's well-being was their top priority.

He said in a statement: "As a hospitality business, the Loco Group recognises that when anyone from the community dine in our restaurants or order our food on delivery, they are placing a high level of trust in the quality and safety of the products we serve them. 

"That’s why food safety is incredibly important to us and it’s a core part of our everyday practices. 

"On top of the proactive steps we do on a day-to-day basis we hold ourselves accountable by employing external auditors who regularly audit our adherence to the highest food hygiene standards.  

"When we heard a foreign object was found in one of our products our immediate concern was for our guests, their well-being and acting as swiftly as possible.  

"After ensuring the well-being of our guests, next we turned our focus to a thorough and well-documented investigation to determine the source of the foreign object and how it came to be in one of our products.    

"We were unsuccessful in being able to retrieve the foreign object from the guest before it was disposed of. 

"Our investigation thoroughly inspected all containers, storage areas, equipment and cooking surfaces which came into contact with the ingredients from storage, preparation and serving.    

"Afterwards, our kitchen was thoroughly audited by SFA inspectors.  

"Both SFAs’ and our own investigation were unable to conclude the source of the foreign object and no lapses of hygiene standards were found.

"SFA concluded this was an isolated incident. The photograph of the foreign object supplied to us did not appear consistent with equipment or parts commonly found in our kitchens.

"Whilst the two investigations of our kitchens were inconclusive, we sincerely regret the distress that this situation has caused our guests.  

"Our commitment to food safety remains our highest priority and we will continue to work hard every day to maintain the trust the community places in us."