Woman charged over Melbourne crash gives 'open, honest, full and frank account of events'

A 21-year-old Singaporean, Nasuha Naseer, has been released on bail after being charged on Nov 25 with causing an accident in Windermere, more than 100km from Melbourne.

The psychology and media and communications student at the University of Melbourne was driving a blue Renault along Madden Road on Saturday (Nov 24) at about 8.15pm, which was about 5.15pm in Singapore, when the accident happened.

According to The New Paper, she was charged by the Victoria Police's Major Collision Investigation Unit with dangerous driving causing serious injury and negligently causing serious injury.

There were four other Singaporean students in the car at the time of the accident, including Nasuha's twin sister Miss Naimi Nasser.

At the intersection of the road, Nasuha had allegedly failed to stop the car, causing a white Triton to slam into the left side of the car.

The Renault crashed into a tree, and came to a halt.

In a picture taken of the damaged Blue Renault, its airbag can be seen to have popped out (Photo: The Courier)

A 48-year-old man and his 10-year-old daughter were taken to Ballarat Base Hospital with minor injuries.

Nasuha's sister, Miss Naimi, a Business Management student on the Dean's list at Singapore Management University, suffered critical head injuries and had to be air-lifted to Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Currently, she is in a stable condition.

Another passenger, a 20-year-old student who suffered critical head and chest injuries, was flown to Alfred Hospital and is in critical condition, where she is fighting for her life.

The male driver of the Triton was not injured, but his daughter who was in the car with him suffered minor injuries.

The White Triton that the male driver and his 10-year-old daughter were in (Photo: The Courier)

The Courier, an Australian new site, reported that Nasuha appeared in the Ballarat Magistrates Court yesterday (Nov 26) dressed in a tie-dye rainbow shirt and mussed hair.

She kept her head bowed during the bail application.

She was interviewed on Sunday evening (Nov 25) and Detective Sergeant Amos said she was "open, honest, and a full and frank discussion and account of events was provided".

There is a sign 150m from the junction on Madden Road notifying drivers of the upcoming intersection and stop sign there, the court heard.

However, Nasuha said she was "unable to stop" when she arrived at the intersection and saw the stop sign.

According to Lianhe Zaobao, it was revealed that neither Nasuha nor the male driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 

The prosecutor opposed bail, while Detective Sergeant Amos said she would not be a flight risk if bail came with a condition of no travel.

Nasuha was granted bail by Magistrate Gregory Robertson, on the condition that she surrenders her passport and travel documents and reports weekly to the Melbourne North Police Station.

He said: "On the basis that there's no risk of her fleeing, and given I accept that it was an oversight, not intentional or with aggravating features like her trying to kill people or run away from police... I grant bail with some conditions."

According to The New Paper, a spokesman from the University of Melbourne confirmed with them yesterday that three of the Singaporeans, including Nasuha, are students there.

The spokesman said: "A representative from the University is visiting the students in hospital and is speaking to their families.

"The University will continue to provide support to the students and their families."

A spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs told TNP yesterday that the Singapore High Commission in Canberra is rendering consular assistance to the five Singaporeans and their families.

Nasuha can be jailed up to five years for dangerous driving causing serious injury, and up to 10 years for negligently causing serious injury, if convicted.

The maximum penalty for culpable driving and dangerous driving causing death is jail for 20 years.

Nasuha is expected to return to court in February.