Waiter who took part in fatal attack outside St James Power Station gets caning and jail

A waiter, who went back to work after a fatal attack on a jobless man was sentenced yesterday (Nov 26) to five-and-a-half years' jail and ordered to be given six strokes of the cane.

Shawalludin Sa'adon, 28, pleaded guilty in September to causing grievous hurt to Mr Satheesh Kumar Manogaran, 34, who died of stab wounds, in March 2017.

According to The Straits Times, Deputy Public Prosecutor Andre Chong told the court the two had an argument over a liquor bottle at about 4.30am on March 12 last year.

Shawalludin's supervisors at Postbar at St James Power Station told the waiter to step out of the premises in order to diffuse the situation.

Shawalludin felt aggrieved and complained to a fellow secret society member Muhammad Hisham Hassan about Mr Satheesh and his friend Naveen Lal Pillar, 29.

Former assistant restaurant manager Hisham, 28, and two others, gang member and part-time mover Muhammad Khalid Kamarudin, 22, and Muhammad Faizal Md Jamal, 23, who was serving his national service at the time, arrived at Postbar at about 5.30am.

Shawalludin pointed out Mr Satheesh to the trio at the location.

Hisham then left to make some calls.

When Mr Sathhesh's group was about to get into a private-hire car, Shawalludin, Khalid and Faizal approached them. 

DPP Chong said that Khalid, who had a knife with him, punched Mr Satheesh.

According to court documents, he also stabbed the older man in the forehead, the back of his head and on the back.

Faizal and Shawalludin joined in and rained blows on Mr Satheesh, the DPP added. 

The trio also attacked Mr Naveen.

After the attack, Shawalludin went back to his workplace, while Khalid and Faizal left in a taxi.

Shawalludin was arrested by the police when he returned to his home along Marsiling Road.

Meanwhile, Khalid contacted and told another gang member, Muhd Firdaus Abdullah, 20, that he had stabbed somebody and needed shelter.

Firdaus, who was serving his NS then, referred Khalid and Faizal to his brother's flat in Aljunied.

At about 10am, Firdaus called Hisham, who said the group should go to his godmother's flat in Yishun.

Khalid and Hisham were arrested there the next day on Mar 13, 2017 at about 8pm.

Firdaus was sentenced to six years and two months' jail on May 30 and ordered to receive five strokes of the cane.

In April, he had pleaded guilty to one count of harbouring an alleged murderer among other offences.

On Jan 2, Hisham was sentenced to 18 months' jail for harbouring Khalid.

The cases involving Khalid and Faizal are pending.

Read the full story at The Straits Times.

The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.