Toddler in China suffers severe burns to lips and mouth after mistaking washing powder for milk powder

A 2-year-old girl in Fuzhou, China, sustained severe burn to her lips and mouth after accidentally ingesting cleaning powder that she apparently mistook for milk powder.

Chinese media reported that the incident took place on Aug 24.

According to AsiaOne, the girl's family had placed a packet of strong cleaning agent in a low cabinet at home. 

The 2-year-old, Xiaoyun, saw the packet, and was attracted by its colourful exterior.

Thinking it was milk powder, she got her hands on the packet and chewed off the plastic in an attempt to consume its contents. 

Xiaoyun ingested some of the washing powder in the process and began to wail in pain and fright.

Her mouth was then rinsed with warm water. She was also given cooking oil to soothe the pain.

The toddler's lips turned purple following what happened. Blood then oozed out and blisters appeared, reported Sina.

She was eventually taken to hospital. By the time she arrived, it had already been three hours since the ordeal took place.

Other than her lips, doctors said that she suffered severe burns on her mouth, tongue and digestive tract.

Some parts of her body were also burned as some of the powder got into her skin after she started panicking.

Xiaoyun is believed to be recovering in hospital, but her condition is unclear.