S'pore man dies from injuries in Genting tour bus crash, another guy in critical condition

Ng Huiwen
The Straits Times
Monday, Sep 5, 2016

A 62-year-old Singaporean man, who was in critical condition after a tour bus he was on crashed while returning here last week, died from his injuries on Sunday morning (Sept 4).

Mr Lim Sia Thian died from severe traumatic brain injury at Kuala Lumpur General Hospital, Gombak police chief ACP Ali Ahmad told Bernama news agency.

He was one of 12 tourists travelling to Singapore from Genting Highlands on a Grassland tour bus when it crashed into a road divider last Wednesday (Aug 31) on the highway linking Karak to Kuala Lumpur.

Read also: Singaporean tourists on leisure trip in Malaysia injured after bus flips over on highway

The double-decker bus skidded for about 20m and toppled over due to the impact. The cause of the crash has not been determined.

Mr Lim was taken to Bentong Hospital before he was transferred to Kuala Lumpur General Hospital last Thursday (Sept 1).

The Straits Times understands that he leaves behind his wife and two children - a son and a daughter.

Mr Lim's family had initially arranged to send him back via ambulance to seek treatment at a hospital here on Sunday at 11am, but he succumbed to his injuries before that.

His body was brought back to Singapore on Sunday night (Sept 4).

Meanwhile, another Singaporean remains in critical condition at the Kuala Lumpur hospital on Monday (Sept 4).

Read also: S'porean family injured in tour bus crash: Father with punctured lung is fighting for his life

The family members of Mr R. Manokaran, 52, are hoping to bring him back here for treatment, but doctors have advised against doing so for now as both his kidneys have failed, said his 21-year-old niece V. Chandralekha, who is with him in Kuala Lumpur.

She added that he is currently on dialysis and the medical team are assessing if his condition will be stable enough for the journey back here.

Mr Manokaran, a barber, broke his arm and a wrist bone, and punctured his lung.

He is in the intensive care unit, and has not regained consciousness since the accident.

Said Ms Chandralekha: "His left rib bones are mostly damaged and, therefore, he has to be on breathing support throughout the ambulance journey."

The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.