Commuters vacated from Raffles Place MRT Station as gas fills platform

Submitted by Stomper Kelvin

This story was submitted via Stomp App contribution.

Update on May 3, 4.20pm:

In response to Stomp queries, Mr Patrick Nathan, Vice President for Corporate Information and Communications at SMRT gave the following response:

"Our investigations show that the incident at Raffles Place MRT Station on Monday night (May 1) was caused by a Freon-gas leak from one of the train's air-con compressors.

"The train was withdrawn from service to have the air-con compressor unit replaced. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Original article:

Commuters had to vacate an train at Raffles MRT Station on Monday evening (May 1) after smoke was seen spilling out of the train and filling the platform.

Stomper Kelvin forwarded a video taken by his sister-in-law who was at the scene at around 8.45pm when it happened.

According to her, it was very hot in the train when the smoke appeared.

"Everyone was very panicked," said Kelvin.

Watch the video below.