Resident seen burning offerings at staircase landing again -- this time at Ang Mo Kio

Submitted by Stomper Sheron

This story was submitted via Web contribution form.

A resident was seen burning offerings at a staircase landing at Block 332 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1 on Sunday morning (Oct 18).

Stomper Sheron, who resides in that block, was concerned when she saw this happen at 8am and shared photos with Stomp.

"Is this allowed? Because this does not seem right," Sheron said.

"The flame was actually pretty from time to time.

"Burner bins are already provided all around our blocks, so why do this?

"Furthermore, if a curious child touches the burner bin while it is hot, it could be painful."

In response to a Stomp query, a spokesman for Ang Mo Kio Town Council said: "The town council advises residents on responsible burning of joss papers and incense through its educational posters that are displayed on notice boards as well as social media postings on Facebook and Instagram."

The town council added that incense burner bins have been placed at every block for residents to use.

"We would encourage residents to be considerate when burning joss papers and incense to keep our environment safe and clean," said the spokesman.

In a separate case, Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council also advised a household against burning offerings at the staircase landing after they were seen doing so on Oct 16.