Queen's Close resident calls police on 'noisy' neighbours 155 times over 7 years

A resident at Block 23A Queen’s Close who accused her neighbours of being noisy has called the police on them 155 times for the past seven years.

The 76-year-old resident, Madam Zheng Xin Xiang told Shin Min Daily News that she has lived in the block for more than 10 years.

Madam Zheng said that ever since her neighbours above her moved in about seven years ago, she has been disturbed by the sound of furniture getting dragged from their flat. 

She said:

“Ever since my husband passed away seven years ago, my 48-year-old son and I have been living together. 

“The neighbours above moved in not long after and I started hearing them dragging their chairs in their flat.

“I cannot sleep at night and I often get woken up by the noise.”

According to Madam Zheng, a mentally disabled woman in her 30s and her mother, who is in her 70s, stay in the flat above.

She continued:

“I went upstairs to confront the two of them once but they denied making the noise.

“After that, they never answer the door again.

“I have spoken to the authorities and even a Member of Parliament (MP).

“I even called the police on them 155 times!”

Reporters later visited Madam Zheng’s neighbours’ flat in an attempt to get more information, but no one answered the door.

Another neighbour revealed that he would hear people shouting occasionally, but was unsure where the shoutings came from. 

In response to media queries, the police confirmed it had received reports on the incident. 

Dr Chia Shi-Lu, a MP for the Tanjong Pagar Group Representation Constituency (GRC) said that neighbours locked in a dispute and are unable to reach a resolution may seek the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals for help.

An applicant can send his neighbour’s name, address, as well as any evidence such as photos and police reports. 

To understand more about the process, the public can visit www.statecourts.gov.sg for more information. 

Both the applicant and the accused neighbours must attend a meeting set up by the tribunal and depending on the situation, the judge may order mediation or counselling sessions. 

If the problem remains unresolved, the judge will then issue a court order for the accused to either make a compensation or formal apology.