Nightclub waiter joined gang attack that left customer dead -- then washed hands and returned to work

A nightclub waiter, 27-year-old Shawalludin Sa'adon, participated in a gang attack which left 35-year-old customer Satheesh Kumar Manogaran dead outside Postbar club at St James Power Station on Mar 12, 2017 before washing his hands and returning to work.

In an earlier Stomp article, contributed by Stomper Tay, the attack left Mr Satheesh with stab wounds to his head and back.

The attack started after Shawalludin gathered members from his secret society to confront Mr Satheesh due to an altercation between the two after the latter and his friends had left a bottle of liquor on the floor, reported The Straits Times.

Shawalludin claimed that Mr Satheesh had tried to punch him, according to another earlier Stomp article.

In order to prevent things from escalating, Shawalludin's supervisors advised him to step out of the restaurant.

Shawalludin still felt aggrieved by his treatment, however, and proceeded to call members from his secret society based in Toa Payoh Central for back-up.

Former assistant restaurant manager and gang member Muhammad Hisham Hassan, 28, then informed others including part-time mover Muhammad Khalid Kamarudin, 22, and Muhammad Faizal Md Jamal, 23, who was serving national service at the time.

They arrived at Postbar at about 5.30am, where Shawalludin subsequently identified Mr Satheesh and his cousin, Mr Naveen Lal Pillar, 29, to them.

Mr Satheesh and Mr Naveen were confronted by Shawalludin, Khalid and Faizal as they were about to get in a private hire car.

Khalid punched Mr Satheesh in the face before stabbing him once in the forehead, twice in the back of the head and twice in the back with a foldable knife.

Shawalludin and Faizal then punched and kicked Mr Satheesh and Mr Naveen.

After the attack, Shawalludin returned to Postbar to wash the blood off his hands and went back to work while Khalid and Faizal fled in a taxi.

His colleagues later informed him that Mr Satheesh had died from his wounds.

Shawalludin shared the news with Hisham before returning to his Marsiling Road home, where he was subesequently arrested by police.

Hisham was sentenced to 18 months' jail on Jan 2 this year after he was found guilty of harbouring Khalid at his godmother's flat in Yishun following the incident.

He had intentionally done so despite knowing that Khalid had murdered Satheesh earlier, according to an earlier Stomp report.

On Tuesday (Sep 11), Shawalludin was convicted of voluntarily causing grievous hurt.

His mitigation plea and sentencing is expected to take place on Oct 8.

For voluntarily causing grievous hurt, Shawalludin could be jailed up to 10 years, fined and caned.

St James Power Station has permanently closed after its lease ended last month (Aug).

Read the full story at The Straits Times.

The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.