1 sent to hospital, nearly 50 Toa Payoh residents evacuated after void deck junk catches fire

Submitted by Stomper Seb

A fire broke out at the void deck of Block 14A, Toa Payoh Lorong 7 yesterday (Jun 20) at around 4.51am, resulting in an emergency evacuation of residents.

Stomper Seb alerted Stomp to the fire. 

Seb who lives on the 24th storey, said:

"There was so much smoke rising up.

"The fire lasted for about 10 to 15 minutes."

A 56-year-old resident said she and her husband had been asleep during the time of the incident, but was awakened by the smell of something burning, reports Shin Min Daily News via Lianhe Zaobao.

The couple investigated the source of the smell and discovered that the HDB opposite theirs had caught fire.

The fire also caused a blackout in the block, and the lifts did not work.

Said the reader:

“The whole HDB block was plunged into darkness and residents had to climb down the stairs in darkness.

“I think there were close to 50 residents being evacuated.

“I’m not sure when the lifts resume operations but the incident has definitely caused inconveniences for residents.

The SCDF when inquired about the incident said that they had received a report on Jun 20, at around 4.51am, that junk placed at the foot of Block 14A, Toa Payoh Lorong 7, had caught fire. 

The SCDF dispatched a fire engine, a Red Rhino, two ambulances to the scene. 

Using an extinguisher and compressed air foam, SCDF officers put out the fire, while residents from the 2nd to 6th storey were evacuated. 

A 60-year-old woman was conveyed to Tan Tock Seng Hospital for medical treatment.

The police have classified the case as one of arson, and the case is currently under investigation. 

More About: