Mercedes driver pleads guilty to drink driving after man dies in horrific multi-vehicle crash in Tampines

Shaffiq Alkhatib
The Straits Times
May 30, 2023

A motorist who consumed alcohol shortly before he drove his brother’s red Mercedes-Benz car caused an accident with three other cars, a taxi and a motorcycle, killing one of the drivers.

Five other people were also hurt in the crash that occurred on Dec 23, 2021, including the motorcyclist who suffered from a traumatic brain injury.

The offender, Jeremiah Ng En You, 35, who was later found with 42 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to one count each of drink driving and causing Mr Kenn Wong Mun Soon’s death by driving in a dangerous manner.

Mr Wong, 59, was a private-hire driver.

The prescribed limit is 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

Between 7pm and 10pm on Dec 23, 2021, Ng had dinner with his brother and two friends at his office in Tampines Street 93, where he drank four cans of beer.

About an hour later, the brothers left the office and Ng got behind the wheel while his brother, Mr Joshua Ng En Yi, also 35, sat in the front passenger seat.

Ng was speeding as he drove along Tampines Avenue 1 at around 11.10pm. The vehicle was initially travelling at between 157kmh and 169kmh even though the speed limit there was 60kmh.

As he approached a junction, Ng reduced the speed to between 122kmh and 130kmh. He was about to turn left into Tampines Avenue 10 when he lost control of the vehicle.

12jan2023 Mr Jeremiah Ng En You, 34 charged with drink driving and dangerous drivin quoted The driver of a Mercedes...

Posted by SGRV FRONT MAN on Thursday, January 12, 2023


Deputy Public Prosecutor Sheldon Lim said that at this point, the car was travelling at speeds of between 92km and 108kmh.

Ng failed to execute the left turn and the car went straight ahead before ploughing into a centre divider.

It also struck the right side of Mr Wong’s car. He was transporting two men at the time.

DPP Lim said that the left side of Mr Wong’s car then struck the right side of a second car. The rear of Mr Wong’s vehicle also hit the front of a third car.

At around the same time, a motorcycle was travelling between Mr Wong’s vehicle and the second car.

The 25-year-old motorcyclist ended up being crushed between the two cars. The second car also hit the right side of a nearby taxi.

The prosecutor said that the traffic flow was heavy, the road surface was dry and the weather was clear at the time of the accident.

The police were alerted at 11.12pm and officers found that Ng was reeking of alcohol.

After failing a breathalyser test, he was arrested and taken to the Traffic Police headquarters in Ubi Avenue 3.

The prosecutor added that, following the accident, Mr Wong was taken to Changi General Hospital (CGH) and was pronounced dead at 12.01 am the next day.

One of his passengers, a 24-year-old man, sustained a facial wound and had two pieces of glass removed from it.

The other male passenger, who was then 25, escaped with a mild head injury and several wounds.

The motorcyclist, who suffered from a traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures, had to be hospitalised for 66 days.

The driver of the second car suffered from bruises and was given three days of medical leave after he went to CGH.

The taxi driver, who complained of pain in his right hand, went to a private clinic and was given five days of medical leave.

Ng is represented by lawyers Shashi Nathan and Laura Yeo. His mitigation and sentencing are expected to take place on July 7.

The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.