Members of public extinguish fire that broke out in kitchen of Geylang restaurant

Submitted by Stomper YaoQing

This story was submitted via Web contribution form.

A fire broke out in the kitchen of a restaurant in Geylang on Friday afternoon (Jan 20).

Stomper YaoQing alerted Stomp to the incident and shared a video he took as he was passing by the building on a bus.

He added that the fire was at Zheng Li Hearty Kitchen.

"I was taking a bus along Sims Avenue at 3.38pm and saw the building's exhaust duct on fire and the whole area was covered in smoke," he said.

In response to a Stomp query, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the fire at 35 Lorong 11 Geylang at 3.40pm.

"The fire involved the stove and the kitchen exhaust duct in the kitchen of the premises," an SCDF spokesman said.

"Members of the public extinguished the fire using two fire extinguishers prior to SCDF's arrival.

"Three people self-evacuated from the affected premises before SCDF's arrival."

There were no reported injuries.

Preliminary investigation indicates the fire had started due to cooking activities in the kitchen.

SCDF reminds the public, especially stall holders, on the prevention of kitchen exhaust duct (KED) fires with the following fire safety tips: