Man witnesses lorry hitting boy, stays at scene for two hours to relay account to victim's family

A 10-year-old boy was hit by a truck after attempting to cross the road while wedged between two buses, and an elderly witnessed stayed at the scene for more than two hours so he could recount what he saw to the victim’s family.

The accident happened near a bus stop in front of Block 111, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4, on Thursday (Mar 1) at 5.50pm. 

When Shin Min Daily News visited the scene, an elderly man in red was seen standing at the bus stop. 

His eyes were red and he looked visibly tense. 

The man, 71-year-old Mr Chen, told reporters that he had originally planned to have dinner with some friends, but heard a loud bang as he was waiting at the bus stop for his bus to arrive. 

He recalled the traumatising experience:

“I saw the boy collapse on the floor after getting hit. There was so much blood…”

Mr Chen recounted the events that transpired:

“At that time, there were two buses, and the boy had just gotten off the bus at the back. He was about to cross the road while standing between the two buses and did not notice an oncoming truck.

“The truck collided with him.”

After the collision, Mr Chen immediately rushed forward to help.

He saw that the boy had suffered injuries on his face, and his school uniform was torn while he lay sprawled across the road. 

Said Mr Chen:

“I confronted the truck driver and asked him why he wasn’t paying attention while driving on the road. He wasn’t able to answer me.

“After that, I saw that the boy had blood trickling down the side of his mouth. His knees were bruised, and he wasn’t moving at all.

“I did not know what to do. I didn’t dare to move as I was afraid that it will hurt him further. All I could do was help him block off the oncoming traffic.”

Mr Chen recalled that the boy was conveyed to a hospital after an ambulance arrived at the scene.

He had waited by the bus stop for over two hours in hopes that family members of the boy would show up so he would be able to explain to them what had happened.

In response to media queries, a police spokesman said that the police were alerted to the incident on Mar 1 at 5.59pm, and a 10-year-old boy was conveyed to KK Women's and Children's Hospital for treatment.

Investigations are ongoing. 

More About: