Man who got bitten by python at Scotts Road recovering after surgery to remove embedded snake tooth

One of the men who were recorded catching a 3m-long snake outside Tang Plaza along Scotts Road on Tuesday (Jan 29) is recovering from surgery after he was bitten by the python.

An update was posted on pest control firm Anticimex's Facebook page, thanking the public for their concern and support shown to the employee, Farhan, who was injured in the incident.

Anticimex's Asian division's managing director and president Tony Hurst said in the post that Farhan had to undergo minor surgery to remove the snake tooth that had been embedded in his hand.

He explained that the situation on Tuesday was "highly volatile and unpredictable" and required the staff to react quickly.

Stomp previously reported on the Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (Acres) slamming the pest control employees for the way they handled the snake.

(Story continues after video)

Python is adamant that snake should be the display for CNY on Orchard Road.

Credit: Facebook/rabbikhankhan

Posted by Fabrications About The PAP on Monday, 28 January 2019

Mr Kalai Vanan, Acres' deputy chief executive officer told Stomp that the handling of the python was "terrible from start to finish".

"The snake was stepped on and handled very roughly," he said.

"Poor handling skills caused the handler to get bitten as well.

"Snakes are wild animals protected by law and they deserve better handling and care."

However, Mr Hurst wrote in the post: "When the snake attempted to evade containment, not restraining the reptile by any means available could have had disastrous consequences in this busy and populated area."

Commenting on when Farhan stepped on the snake in an apparent attempt to get it to let go of his hand, Mr Hurst said: "A foot is no different to a hand being used in an attempt to restrain a powerful animal, and in fact, the human leg is stronger than the arm for this purpose."

He added that the manager of the team that tackled the python was trained in snake handling at the Singapore Zoo.

"I thank the staff for their actions on the day, containing the situation in what was a very difficult setting, within a busy shopping area full of noise and people filming," he wrote.

"As we see from the footage, all of the actions taken by the staff were directed to capturing the animal and ensuring the public were safe.

"Even after our technician was bitten, there was no malice or cruelty towards the animal, only efforts to contain it and prevent harm.

He ended the post saying Anticimex works closely with the authorities in order to provide a safe living environment for all. He advised members of the public who encounter snakes to contact the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) for assistance.

Following reports on the incident, the AVA said it is investigating the alleged mishandling of the snake, and added that cruelty to animals is an offence under the Animals & Birds Act.