Man jailed for trying to record women in shower in army camp and cinema toilet

While serving his national service, 22-year-old Adith Sarvotham tried to take a video of a woman in a shower in his army camp.

He later tried to take a video of a woman who was in a cinema toilet.

He had even attacked several Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) officers.

On Jan 25, he was sentenced to nine months and 10 weeks' jail. Six other charges were taken into consideration, reports The Straits Times.

The court was told that on Jan 15, 2016, a Singapore Armed Forces signal specialist was in the shower at the 5 SIR building compound in Gombak Drive when she noticed a mobile phone at the bottom of the cubicle.

She shouted and ran after the intruder.

Later, a red singlet was found in a bag near a trash bin outside Adith's barrack room.

He was told to wear the red singlet and take part in an identification parade. He was picked out by the woman.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Joshua Rene Jeyaraj told the court that on May 5 the same year, Adith admitted himself to the Institute of Mental Health for depression.

Three days later, he asked to be discharged and became angry when he could not leave. He was also upset that he could not smoke or listen to music on his phone.

He kicked a door several times, dislodging it. Repairs for the door cost $364.

The court also heard that in another case of attempting to insult modesty on July 7, Adith trespassed into the women's toilet at Golden Village Yishun. He tried to video a 27-year-old sales assistant in the cubicle next to his.

The woman left quickly after she saw his mobile phone and told her boyfriend about it. Her boyfriend went into the toilet where he confronted Adith, who denied taking a video of her. He was later arrested.

On Feb 3 last year, several Central Narcotics Bureau officers went to Adith's home in Yishun to arrest him for drug-related offences.

While he was being questioned, Adith became increasingly agitated and abused one of the officers.

When he was not allowed to smoke, he rushed at a senior CNB officer, who instructed two of his officers to handcuff him.

Adith put up a struggle while hurling vulgarities at the officers. He kicked a 24-year-old staff sergeant on his left arm, and the 28-year-old senior CNB officer on his face and his abdomen. Another officer's right shoulder, wrist and lower back were hurt.

The court also heard that on June 3 last year, Adith used his right shoulder to knock against a National Environment Agency officer's forearm.

The officer and a colleague had asked for his particulars after they found him smoking at a sheltered walkway outside Starbucks at Northpoint Shopping Centre.

He had admitted to 10 charges in total, including three counts of causing hurt to a public servant to deter him from discharging his duty, using abusive words against a public servant, mischief and criminal trespass.

The sentence was backdated to June last year. With a one-third remission for good behaviour, he could be released.

The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.