Man arrested after locking himself in room and stabbing police officer's thigh at Toa Payoh

A 64-year-old man was arrested after he locked himself in the bedroom of a Toa Payoh flat and stabbed a police officer in the thigh on Monday (Feb 8).

He was also arrested for drug-related offences.

The police said in a statement that they received a call for assistance at Block 124 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh at about 8.47am.

The caller informed the police that his grandmother's tenant had locked himself in his room and threatened to commit suicide.

"Upon police's arrival, the man was yelling and refused to heed officers' repeated calls to open the door," the statement said.

"As it was assessed that the man might pose a danger to himself and others, the police officers sought the assistance of the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers to effect forced entry into the said room.

"Upon entering the room, the man was seen holding a canister of butane fuel and a lighter in his hands.

"The man then allegedly charged towards the officers.

"In the ensuing struggle between the man and the police officers who were disarming him, one of the police officers, aged 28, was stabbed on the left thigh allegedly with a knife by the man."

The 64-year-old man was subsequently arrested for voluntarily causing hurt to a public servant, criminal intimidation and suspected drug-related offences.

He was taken to hospital for medical examination.

The injured police officer is conscious and currently receiving treatment at the hospital for his injuries.

Police investigations are ongoing.

The man will be charged in court on Tuesday (Feb 9) and the police will work with the prosecution to seek a court order for the man to be remanded at the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) for pyschiatric assesment.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Cheong Chee Ming, Commander of Tanglin Police Division said, "Police work can be extremely unpredictable.

"Officers need to exercise vigilance in every single incident they respond to.

"Officers’ actions to mitigate situations like these are not without risks.

"The priority will always be to contain the threat quickly and minimising casualties.

"Every turn of the situation requires the officers to make split-second decision to intervene as any delay may worsen the situation, risking further harm or even death.

"In this instance, our officers moved in quickly to subdue the man and prevent any severe injury to anyone, including to himself."

The offence of voluntarily causing hurt carries a jail term of up to seven years, or a fine, or caning.

The offence of criminal intimidation carries a jail term of up to 10 years, or a fine, or both.

The offence of consuming either controlled or specified drugs carries a jail term of up to 10 years, or a fine of up to $20,000, or both.