Maggots in chicken wing: SFA taking action against Changi Village stall for hygiene lapse

The Singapore Food Agency (SFA) is taking enforcement action against a nasi lemak stall for a hygiene lapse after a diner found maggots in his food.

Stomper Irvin earlier shared how he had ordered nasi lemak from Changi Famous Food Centre on March 9, at around 4.30am.

He said he had bitten into a chicken wing when he saw "15 to 20 maggots" inside, which caused him to vomit.

Irvin subsequently reported the matter to SFA, which confirmed that it had received feedback and was investigating the matter.

In a statement on Wednesday (Mar 23), SFA told Stomp that it has inspected the food stall and did not detect pest infestation or maggots during the investigation.

The agency added: "Nevertheless, SFA is taking enforcement action against the licensee for the hygiene lapse found.

"We have also reminded the licensee to keep the premises clean, free from pests at all times and to practice good housekeeping.

"Food safety is a joint responsibility. While SFA puts in place and enforces the regulatory measures, food operators must play their part by adhering to good food hygiene and preparation practices.

"Members of the public who come across any potentially errant food operator should report to SFA via the online feedback form. As part of the enquiry and gathering of evidence, SFA may engage the feedback provider for more details.

SFA will not hesitate to take enforcement action against errant food operators if we have obtained sufficient evidence."