Jalan Rumah Tinggi resident commends workers for helping to extinguish recycling bin fire

Submitted by Stomper Yuniza

This story was submitted via Stomp App contribution.

A group of constructions workers sprung into action after a recycling bin caught fire near Block 8 Jalan Rumah Tinggi on Sunday afternoon (Sep 8).

Stomper Yuniza alerted Stomp to the incident and shared photos she took from her home.

"The recycling bin was on fire, I'm unsure how, and it was burning heavily with small parts exploding everywhere," she said.

"The workers, who were in the container quarters, heard the popping sounds from the fire.

"When they saw it, they rushed and helped to put it out immediately with fire extinguishers and water they retrieved from their quarters.

"Their quick thinking and ability to put it out helped to extinguish the fire."

In response to a Stomp query, the Singapore Civil Defence Force said they responded to the fire at about 3.25pm.

It was extinguished by the SCDF using a water jet, a spokesman said.

Yuniza was extremely grateful to the workers for their civic-mindedness:

"I just want to commend and bring attention to their actions for stepping up even on their off day and for continuing to help build Singapore in more ways than they already have.

"Thank you, brothers!

"I hope people continue to look at our foreign workers who helped to build Singapore in a positive light as they have helped us more than we know."