"I didn't mean to dispute with uncle," says sobbing woman who bullied elderly man at Toa Payoh hawker centre

The couple who bullied and shoved 76-year-old Mr Ng Ai Hua over a table at Lorong 8 Toa Payoh Hawker Centre on Apr 21 was sentenced to a fine yesterday (Aug 11). 

Tay Puay Leng, also known as Zheng Peiling, 38, was fined S$1,200 for her use of abusive language on the elderly victim, with the intent to cause harm.

Her male accomplice, Chow Chuin Yee, 45, was fined S$1,500 for using criminal force on the victim.

He had barged into Mr Ng from the back with his body. 

The pair’s actions were filmed by a passer-by, and the footage was uploaded on Apr 23.

It subsequently became viral. 

In the video, Tay was seen shouting at Mr Ng, before Chow suddenly shoved Mr Ng from the back.

The pair were arrested on Apr 25 and charged on Jun 15, 2017, reports The Straits Times

Speaking to reporters outside the State Courts after paying the fines, Chow and Tay said that they would like to apologise to Mr Ng.

Said Tay while sobbing:

“I was hoping that I could say sorry to uncle in person. 

“But because the investigations were going on, the police did not allow me to do that. 

“Therefore, all I could ask was to pass the apology letter to the IO (Investigation officer) hoping that it can be handed to uncle. 

“If I can, I will gladly want to apologise to him in person. 

“I didn't mean to dispute with uncle.”

Chow added that the past four months had been difficult on the both of them, and said he hopes everyone would give them a chance. 

He said:

“I've not been able to do my daily routine, I've been pointed fingers everywhere I go. 

“I've been trying to keep a very low profile. 

“I'm just lost that day after receiving a distress call from (Tay). 

“We've been through a lot of family issues and I'm very protective over her. 

“There's no excuse for my behaviour. 

“After watching the video, I feel disgusted with myself.”

Tay could have been jailed for up to six months and fined up to $5,000 for causing alarm, while Chow could have been jailed up to three months and fined up to $1,500, for using criminal force.