Here's what not to do when you encounter a monitor lizard

This story was submitted via WhatsApp. Click here to join our WhatsApp group.

Workers were seen trying to chase away a monitor lizard that had ventured a little too far from its natural habitat.

Stomp was alerted to the video that was posted on All Singapore Stuff's Facebook page. It is unclear where or when the incident happened.

In the footage, a worker is seen using a mop to guide the lizard out of the area.

This lizard big and fierce siol. Destroyed the mop so easily

Posted by All Singapore Stuff on Friday, 8 May 2020

The reptile appears to be scared and repeatedly nips at the mop and is seen thrashing its tail.

It appears to be injured.

Netizens praised the workers for trying to help guide the monitor lizard out of danger but said that professionals like the Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (Acres) should have been called in to handle the situation.

In response to a Stomp query, Mr Kalai Vanan, deputy chief executive officer of Acres said:

"The animal in this video is a water monitor lizard.

"They are common islandwide and relatively shy.

"We will like to show our appreciation to the person for taking his time to slowly nudge the animal away.

"However, we will like to urge the public not to attempt this on their own as the animal can become defensive as in the video.

"This may cause the animal to be unpredictable causing it to sometimes dash erratically which might be a potential for accidents especially if there is a road nearby."

"Do call Acres at 97837782 or NParks.

NParks advises the public to do the following should they encounter a monitor lizard:

  • Do not be alarmed. These animals are shy and will not attack humans unless provoked or cornered.

  • Do not touch, chase or corner them as they may attack in defence. You are advised to leave them alone. It is fine to observe them from afar.

  • Seek medical attention immediately if (in a rare event) you are bitten. Although monitor lizards do secrete venom, it is not fatal to humans. The main cause for concern would be bacterial infection from the bite.