E-bike battery in bedroom likely cause of Bedok North flat fire, 1 person taken to hospital

Submitted by Stomper Catherine, Helen

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

A fire in a Bedok flat on Sunday (Oct 23) had likely originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle (PAB) in the bedroom, said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

One person was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

Stompers Catherine and Helen shared videos of the fire at Block 108 Bedok North Road.

The videos show flames and thick black smoke coming out of the flat window. People gathered to watch and at least three SCDF vehicles were at the scene.

In a Facebook post, SCDF said it was alerted to the second-storey fire at about 11:35am

"The fire involved contents of a bedroom and was extinguished by firefighters from Changi Fire Station using a water jet. There were no persons found inside the unit," said SCDF.

"A person who had self-evacuated from the affected unit prior to SCDF's arrival was assessed for smoke inhalation and conveyed to the Singapore General Hospital. Another person from a neighbouring unit was also assessed for smoke inhalation but refused conveyance to the hospital."

About 50 residents from the third to sixth storeys were evacuated by police.

A fire at Block 451 Yishun Ring Road on Oct 1 was also likely caused by an e-bike battery.

"SCDF would like to remind the public on the prevention of PMD (personal mobility device) and PAB fires, including not to charge batteries for an extended period of time or overnight. Do not purchase or use non-original batteries," said SCDF.