"Don't let grandma be sad": Last words from 11-year-old boy with terminal heart condition

An 11-year-old boy who contracted a rare heart condition, endocarditis, went to England last year (2016) to seek treatment and was thought to be healthy again.

However, after returning to Singapore for half a year, his conditions relapsed, telling his family members, “not to let grandma be sad”, two days before passing away, reports Lianhe Wanbao via Lianhe Zaobao

The boy was admitted into the A&E for treatment after complaining of a intense pain in his chest on Oct 9, 2016.

Doctors discovered that he had a blockage in his aortic valve, and he was subsequently diagnosed with endocarditis, requiring surgery immediately.

As there was a lack of specialists of the nature in Singapore, the boy’s family decided to sent the boy to England’s Royal Brompton Hospital for treatment.

Accompanied by his family and a medical team, the boy flew to England on Oct 13, 2016.

The boy’s 40-year-old mother when interviewed, said:

“The doctors who attended to my son were the top medical experts.

“The operation was successful.

“However, they told us (family members) that his condition was very serious and he was lucky to be alive.

“They also stressed that the road to recovery will be tough.”

Holding back her tears, the grieving mother said that despite the pain, her son remained optimistic and never let family members worry about him.

A month after his operation, the boy returned to Singapore and was admitted under observation. 

He was then discharged before the Lunar New Year this year.

Thinking that he had recovered fully, family members celebrated a peaceful reunion finally.

However, tragedy struck when his conditions relapsed in May 2017. 

He was admitted into a hospital again.

The boy’s mother said:

“His condition was even more serious this time round.

“We (family members) did not dare to leave his bedside for even a moment.”

Although the boy put up a valiant fight, he ultimately succumbed to his condition, passing away on Tuesday (Jun 13).

His mother added even before her boy passed away, e was thinking how to not let his grandmother grieve for him.

She said:

“Two days before he passed, he knew that he wasn’t going to make it.

“He thought about his grandmother and told us that we should listen to her opinions for his funeral arrangements.

“He was a thoughtful child until the very end.”

More About: