Man on trial for raping his own mother claims he was slapped around by police before giving 'untrue' statements

Selina Lum
The Straits Times
Sep 8, 2016

A man on trial for raping his own mother told the High Court on Thursday (Sept 8) that he was slapped around by a police officer shortly before he gave two "untrue" statements on the day of his arrest - an accusation that was firmly refuted by the officer and his superior.

The two Criminal Investigation Department officers - Deputy Superintendent Burhanudeen Haji Hussainair and Inspector Thinagaran S. Krishnasamy - had interviewed the accused for two hours before he was handed back to the investigating officer for his statement to be recorded.

The 33-year-old accused, who has a chronic ear infection, alleged that when he denied raping his mother, Insp Thinagaran slapped him twice on his left ear until pus oozed out and then pushed him against a wall. And when he raised his voice at DSP Burhanudeen, Insp Thinagaran slapped him at the back of his head and neck.

Read also: 33-year-old man accused of raping his mum: He allegedly told her he liked it and wanted to do it again

He said he gave the two statements as he felt helpless, his ear was hurting and he wanted to be granted bail.

"I begged them to stop beating me," he said.

He said DSP Burhanudeen warned him to cooperate with the investigating officer, who then recorded the two statements from him.

While the contents of the statements have yet to be disclosed in court, the man let slip that he felt so helpless at the time that he "imagined some porn story", before he was stopped by his lawyer Andy Lem from elaborating further.

A doctor who examined the accused before and after his statements were taken, testified that he had asked the suspect if he had been handled roughly by the officers, but the man said no.

Read also: Mother falsely accused her own son of rape to 'get him out of the house': Lawyer

To this, the accused said he chose not to reveal the assault to Dr Wong Kia Boon as he believed he was in the same "team" as the officers.

The accused faces one charge each of rape, molestation and aggravated molestation. His mother, who was then 53 years old, has accused him of forcing himself on her after he returned home at about 2.30am on Oct 4, 2013.

When he took the stand on July 22, he denied her accusations, although he admitted to having lifted up her nightdress while she was asleep.

On Wednesday, when the trial resumed, prosecutors sought to admit six police statements he had given after his arrest, to show that his court testimony was different from what he had told the police. The man then challenged the admissibility of two of the statements, claiming he was threatened into giving them.

The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.