Cashew Road fire caused by e-scooter: Man broke bedroom window to free his trapped sons

A fire that broke out in a sixth-storey unit at Block 132 Cashew Road on Monday night (Feb 4) was caused by an e-scooter, and left a father and his two sons with burn injuries.

Stomp previously published videos of the fire that Stompers Nicholas and Mickson contributed.

The SCDF, which was alerted to the fire at around 8.45pm, said that nine people had evacuated from the affected unit, three of whom were taken to hospital with burn injuries.

In an update on its Facebook page, the SCDF added: "They are now healing from their injuries and we wish them well."

Lianhe Wanbao identified the injured trio as a man and his two sons.

A relative, who declined to be named, told Wanbao that a couple lived in the affected unit with their eldest daughter, their son-in-law, and their youngest son.

The group of five were having a family gathering with the couple's other children and a three-year-old grandson when the fire occurred.

A neighbour revealed: "The elderly house owner was chilling outside his unit when he saw smoke emitting from a bedroom window. He shouted and six members of the family hurriedly left the flat.

"However, his two sons were still trapped in the bedroom. He then used an iron bar to break the glass of the bedroom window."

According to the SCDF, preliminary fire investigation findings indicate that the fire started from an e-scooter placed in one of the unit's bedrooms.

It also shared tips on preventing similar fires, adding: "Let’s be fire safe while we dip ourselves in the festive mood."

More About: