Bukit Batok fire involving 3 PMDs: Man dies in hospital after trying to rescue pets from burning flat

A 40-year-old man who was rescued from a burning flat in Bukit Batok in the early hours of Thursday (July 18) died in hospital two days later.

He was among the three people who were injured in the fire that broke out at Block 293D Bukit Batok Street 21 after midnight.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force had conducted forcible entry into the heavily smoke-logged unit on the 26th floor, where they rescued the man and his wife.

The man, who was found unconscious with burn injuries, was sent to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital while his wife was taken to Singapore General Hospital (SGH) for smoke inhalation.

The man was later transferred to SGH's intensive care unit, but died on Saturday afternoon (July 20).

He had third-degree burns on 40 per cent of his body and had been in a coma since the incident due to a lack of oxygen to his brain, reported The Straits Times.

Police are investigating the unnatural death.

According to the SCDF, preliminary investigations indicated that the fire was accidental in nature and was linked to three burnt personal mobility devices in the unit.

Shin Min Daily News reported that the couple, who have two dogs, had escaped the fire by climbing onto the flat's air-conditioner ledge.

However, the man dashed back into the burning flat to save his pets and later fell unconscious near the toilet.

Residents described the man as a cheerful and optimistic person who loved animals and got on well with his neighbours.

Around 70 people were evacuated from the block during the incident.

An elderly man was injured during the evacuation and conveyed to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital.

View more photos of the fire in the gallery.