Bedroom fire in West Coast Drive flat likely caused by charging of e-bike battery: SCDF

A fire at Block 511 West Coast Drive on Saturday night (May 20) was likely caused by the charging of power-assisted bicycle (PAB), said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

A video of flames and smoke from a window in a residential unit on the top floor of the block was posted online by TikTok user #autobacssg #sgtiktok #xflamesg #lifestyle #scdf #firesafety #fire #extinguisher #fireextinguisher #householditems #caracessories #car #pmdfire #foryoupage #environmentallyfriendly #environmentallyfriendlyproducts #greenproducts ♬ 原聲 - PerfectSham

In a Facebook post on Sunday morning (May 21), SCDF said it was alerted to a fire in the 12th-floor unit at about 11:15pm.

The fire involved the contents of a bedroom and was extinguished by firefighters from the Clementi Fire Station using a water jet.

Six occupants from the flat and about 160 residents from the block evacuated before SCDF’s arrival. There were no reported injuries.

SCDF said preliminary investigation indicated that the fire had likely originated from the battery pack of a PAB charging in the bedroom.