40kg wild boar in Punggol that "kept attacking" pregnant woman was not provoked, says husband

Submitted by Stomper Sathiamoorthy, Briant

Click here to submit a story or submit it to our WhatsApp.

The wild boar that attacked a woman in Punggol on Tuesday (Aug 28) was not provoked, the victim's husband said.

Stomp previously reported that the woman in her 30s was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) after suffering lacerations in her encounter with the boar near Punggol Secondary School.

Stomper Sathiamoorthy alerted Stomp to a photo posted on Facebook of the woman with blood running down her right leg.

The incident happened when she was walking to a bus stop near the school where she works as an administrator. She is reportedly pregnant.

Her husband, who declined to be named, told The New Paper (TNP) on Wed (Aug 29): "All of a sudden, the wild boar attacked her from behind. She did not know what happened and the wild boar kept attacking her."

He said the attack ended only when a passing cyclist stopped to use his bike to fend off the animal, which ran away.

It is unclear if the 40kg boar had gored the woman but her husband said that she had many bite marks.

"It was not a face-to-face confrontation where she provoked the animal to attack her," he said.

"People think she provoked the wild boar, but the fact is she was attacked from behind and had many bite injuries, not just injuries on the leg."

She underwent surgery at KTPH and according to Shin Min Daily News, the foetus was unharmed in the attack.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman told Stomp that it responded to a call for medical assistance at about 5.15pm.

The wild boar was later found at the nearby Waterbay executive condominium where it was trapped in a bin centre by security guards.

Stomper Briant, a resident of the condominium, told Stomp that when he came back from school he found the boar trapped and gates to the bin centre tied shut.

It was later tranquillised and captured by staff from the Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (Acres).

In a video, the boar is seen smashing items in the bin centre. However, no one was hurt, reports TNP.

The boar was then relocated to the Lorong Halus area by Acres after sedating it.

Mr Kalai Vanan, Acres' deputy chief executive, told The Straits Times that it received a call at about 5pm in the Punggol area.

It is unknown why the boar was roaming around the area but Mr Kalai said that development works might be a reason.

"Feeding by people may have had a part to play in causing the animal to venture out as well," he said.